Free access to psychiatrist secondary consultations for GPs in the Alfred Health catchment
Wednesday, 4 November 2020
To support you in addressing the mental health of your patients, SEMPHN has partnered with Alfred Health to provide general practitioners in the Alfred Health catchment with free access to secondary consultations with an experienced psychiatrist.
The initiative, which will remain in place initially until 30 June 2021, is part of the recently announced Victorian Government’s $60 million additional mental health funding for 2020/21.
What’s on offer?
By prior appointment, you can access a free, 45 minute consultation by video or phone to discuss your patient’s mental health treatment, for example:
- viewing your patient’s management plan
- medication management advice
- referral and linkage information/recommendations.
- This is a non-urgent service, and clinical responsibility for the patient remains with you (the treating GP).
When is this available, and for who?
The service starts Monday, 9 November 2020 and is available to general practitioners located in the Alfred Health catchment. Please note, at this stage the service is only applicable to patients over the age of 25.
How can I access this service?
1. Call SEMPHN’s Access & Referral Ph: 1800 862 363, 8.30am-4.30pm weekdays. Faxed referrals will not be accepted. You will be asked to provide the following information, which will be sent to the psychiatrist at Alfred Health:
- Confirmation of patient consent for the consultation to occur
- Patient details
- Relevant co-morbidities
- Current medications
- Brief overview of treatment to date (e.g. new or existing patient)
- Reason for consultation – consultation questions.
2. A video/phone appointment time will be arranged with you during this call. Alfred Health will confirm your appointment time and provide meeting details.
3. At the appointment time, it’s expected that you will have access to your patient’s clinical record in order to be able to answer questions that may arise.
4. After the appointment, you will be sent a follow-up letter from the psychiatrist, summarising the outcome of the discussion.
If you have any questions about this initiative, please contact our Access & Referral team Ph: 1800 862 363, 8.30 am - 4.30 pm weekdays.
Events and Education See all
South Eastern Melbourne PHN acknowledges the traditional custodians of the land our catchment covers, the Boon Wurrung and Wurundjeri people. We pay respect to them, their culture and their Elders past, present and future, and uphold their relationship to this land.
While the Australian Government Department of Health has contributed to the funding of this website, the information on this website does not necessarily reflect the views of the Australian Government and is not advice that is provided, or information that is endorsed, by the Australian Government. The Australian Government is not responsible in negligence or otherwise for any injury, loss or damage however arising from the use of or reliance on the information provided on this website.